Saturday, December 4, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

So needless to say, these past few weeks have been all sorts of hellish for me. Group projects are the worst, especially when most of your grade depends upon them and certain people push it off to the last minute. Not that I can say I am totally innocent in all of this... But with everything due all at once, I just of just want the term to be over already

I wish I could say that I have a new update for Dr. Who up. I have watched the next episode but I just don't have the will to write about it now. I haven't watched passed mentioned episode which is kind of disappointing in and of itself.

I've decided instead to talk about one of my many obsessions in life: Harry Potter. As almost anyone who is probably reading this blog knows, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 came out not too long ago. Naturally, I went to a midnight showing with a couple of my friends [two of which had never been to a midnight showing previously].

AND IT WAS WORTH THE EXHAUSTION THE NEXT DAY! I was incredibly happy with this movie, more so than I have been with all the previous movies. It is by far the best and most accurate to the books which leaves me warm and fuzzy inside.


SPOILERS! AKA DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW!!! <- I want no doubt in anyone's mind that I didn't warn you. It is bold and underlined.

First off, great opening sequence. It was one of those moments where the lack of book to movie matching was completely OK with me. We kind of wander between Harry, Ron and Hermione. We witness Hermione erasing herself from her parents' memories and their home. While it was only briefly described in the book, this sequence made it more emotional for the audience. We got to see it happening whereas the book really did not paint the picture with detail. In the book, Hermione merely mentions that she had erased her parents memories and that is that. It would have been awkward in the movie if she just casually mentioned it.

Next, we step to the part about that was the actual beginning of the book: Death Eaters and Voldy Lord Voldemort. It is a pretty raw moment for the Malfoy family. Lucius is obviously in shambles with his home being headquarters and seems to finally realizing some risks may not have been worth it. And the scene progress as you expect. "Blah blah blah, Wormtail, quiet the "guest." Blah blah blah, Severus save me. Avada Kadavera!" followed by a green light and a plunk.

And we travel back to Harry. Seems like Uncle Vernon cannot make up his mind about everything. What really gets  interesting is the 7 Potters. We are randomly introduced to Bill Weasley, the eldest brother of that clan who was barely mentioned prior to this moment. It's probably the only thing that full on bothered me because we haven't met Charlie, who has been mentioned several; times in the movies. But I get it because who the heck else would get married in a time like that?

But the transformations make it amusingly worth it. Radcliffe does a pretty good job here with portraying each of the other characters, in my opinion. Oh to get to see young actors evolve like those of the Harry Potter cast... It really is a once in a blue moon occurrence. It's funny and amusing.

---

I'm all sorts of tired right now. I'll talk more about DH Pt 1 later. And maybe post some of my previous commentary for HP movies/books.

2 comments:

  1. My particular favorite was the Fleur Harry. She was all snuggly with Bill.

    Oh and what about that, "Remus and I have an announcement..." **MAD EYE back hands her** "Shh...your minor plot point is too minor in comparison to the humorous 7 Potter thing coming up and also MY speech."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... It was his last speech... So he unknowingly had the right to backhand it.

    ReplyDelete