Friday, January 14, 2011

16th Annual Critics' Choice Awards

Yeah, I am watching it right now. Some people hate these shows because the walking in is just as long as the show itself sometimes. I really do like watching the award ceremonies, especially for movies and television. It gives me an idea of what I could potentially watch in the upcoming year [mostly in the movies category]. While I don't solely base all my judgments on who wins what, sometimes it gives me a good idea of movies I may not have thought about since it came out.

This is especially convenient because I'm looking to rent a movie or two tomorrow. So I'll write little comments about movies as they come up for awards.

The Social Network
I honestly had very little interest in seeing this movie when it first came out. I don't care about Mark Zuckerburger [or whatever the heck his name is]. It's interesting, it just won for Best Adapted Screenplay and the guy up there basically said that Mark would be happy with what they did... But I was pretty sure Mark wasn't happy with the movie at all or whatever. That's what I remember when it first came out anyway...
There is a commercial on right now that has a list of all the various papers and critics and such that think this is the best movie in the year. And I couldn't tell you if I'll cave to the social pressure of it all. I may just to see if they were right. I do remember liking the music which kind of lures me in. Right now, as I explained to a friend, the movie is kind of in limbo for me. The fact that it won best picture kind of makes me leans towards seeing it. I really... just don't know.

Waiting for Superman
I remember coming across this movie once but didn't get the full detail about it until now. Basically, it's about the school system here in America and how it kind of sucks right now. It's nice because right now, the guy accepting the award for best documentary is focusing on the issue that was addressed in the movie: kids and crappy education. I get that probably doesn't happen a lot because acceptance speeches are usually saved for thanking families and everyone in the movie. But these people make me want to watch it, even after it's been out for a bit. Follow up with movies like that are important

Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work
I like Joan Rivers and I really am curious as to how she is still working. And the great thing about this movie, I won't have to rent it because it currently is on Showtime OnDemand. I'll probably watch it tomorrow while I finish cleaning up the apartment. Which means expect a post tomorrow or Sunday on that. I also like her on Fashion Police

The Pacific
While I'm not a history buff or anything, I do like watching history based movies and reading about history. I remember when this made-for-TV movie was up for Emmy awards and I was interested then. The only problem: It's a mini-series consisting of 10 parts. And Tom Hanks was involved. While he wasn't in the movie, there is just something about him that I don't like... Probably resentment for the whole Forrest Gump thing.

Easy A
I actually have already seen this movie but I very highly recommend it! It was an excellent movie and I think Emma Stone is great! And it just won best comedy, which I'm happy about. Generally, I don't care for the comedy movies that are produced now-a-days. But this was one of the few exceptions. Basically, you follow Emma Stone's character as she gets tangled into a messy reputation of supposedly have sex with a bunch of guys at school. She really made the movie worth it.

Despicable Me
I want to see this movie. I've wanted to see this movie since I saw the first preview. I don't care what anyone else has to say about it. I don't care if all the funny stuff was shown in the commercials. I want to see this movie because the premise is amusing. Seriously, an evil villain getting custody of 3 children? I love it.

How to Train Your Dragon
Definitely a great feel good movie. It's a very cutesy, very family movie. But it has a nice little twist... Vikings. It's one of those movies you can watch again and again and again, in my opinion. You can kind of, sort of relate to the awkward Hiccup.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
If you aren't prepared to read, don't see this movie. Just wait for the English version that is being made. This is not a movie for the light of heart. It has some dark stuff, from rape to torture to incest. Personally, I wouldn't watch this movie again, English version or the original. I can usually handle dark but... It just gets graphic and the story kind of falls to the wayside for me because of it. I've considered reading the book.

The King's Speech
I would need to research for this movie. I keep hearing all this stuff about what an awesome movie it is but I honestly don't have a clue what it is about. Just that there is a queen [Helena Bonham Carter] and a king who clearly makes a speech. What that speech is actually about... I don't know.

Black Swan
I've heard lots of things about this movie from people I know. It's dark and apparently, you can't sleep after seeing it. I read the wikipedia summary for this movie because frankly, I didn't want to go see it in theaters if it was going to suck. And while the movie does seem to be crap, I still don't want to go see it in theaters. Mostly because I can't imagine going with any of my friends to see it and it's not the kind of movie you see by yourself in a theater. Maybe I'll rent it when it comes out.

Inception
Again, this is another movie I've already seen. Personally, if you are looking for a mind blowing movie with a mind blowing ending, see it. It really messes with you. The only reason I just thought of adding it was there was a little spoof  in the beginning of the show I missed but caught during the re-run.

Red
It seems like one of those movies where they show all the funny stuff in the commercials. Except, I wouldn't want to see the actual movie in theaters. Seems to be definitely a renter's movie.

They are also honoring Quentin Tarantino at these awards, which I think is fantastic. The best thing with his movies is they aren't completely mainstream. Unlike many directors who create cult classics, he isn't a one-hit wonder. He makes one great movie after another. Maroon 5's Adam Levine and Kerri Hilson paid tribute via songs. Which is great because not only are his movies fantastic, but the music is always catchy and interesting. He just makes it all fit.

As he's accepting his award, he's explaining how he works. Basically, he builds the story around the music and it's fantastic. I guess because I'm just a minuscule more of a music buff than I am movie buff. And today's movies don't focus on music at all and I feel like it's a really important part of movies. So it's always refreshing to see his movies after watching a bunch of movies that put the music to the side.

Side notes

There is also an honor basically of community service to Matt Damon, an actor that I really like and would be willing to go see a movie just because he's in it. He is apparently helping people get clean water and sanitation when they can't.


Alice In Wonderland won for best costume, which I think is just awesome. I'm obsessed with the costumes in the movie and watch the movie simply to see them.

I love the Kevin Bacon commercial for Logitech. It's brilliant.

I'll definitely be watching the Golden Globe awards on Sunday. And I'll probably post again something similar to what I have here. Basically, I'll probably talk about any changes of my opinion on what I wrote here. Kind of excited to see Ricky Gervais hosting. That maybe a partial focus of what I write as well since the hosts of the Golden Globes are more involved than the Critics' Choice awards.

1 comment:

  1. Black Swan is a contender for my affections.

    The King's Speech: Basically the king of England steps down and now his younger brother is king. Problem is, he stutters...a lot. So HBC hires this kickass speech therapist (Barbossa...I don't know his real name). He (the king) has to make this speech because the people need a leader in the face of WWII. Wiki it for anymore.

    Highlight thus far for me: Princess Elizabeth: "What is that man saying (Hitler)?"
    King: "I don't know but he's saying it well."

    ReplyDelete